From:
Catherine Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:35:01 -0500
Greetings,

"BackStory with the American History Guys," a new history-based public
radio show from the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, announces
that a show on the history of energy in America is in the works.

If your museum or organization focuses on the history of energy in
America, producers invite your ideas and comments about what we should
focus on in the show. In addition, as a call-in show, BackStory invites
your participation as a caller. Being a caller takes about ten minutes
and involves posing a question or comment regarding energy history to
the show's hosts--historians Ed Ayers, Peter Onuf, and Brian Balogh--and
then sticking around for the lively conversation to follow. The
discussion is taped, not live. Recording sessions will be held on Nov.
15th and 23rd.

PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL TO CATHERINE MOORE ([log in to unmask]) OR POST A
COMMENT ON www.backstoryradio.org IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING.
Feel free to forward this message to any colleagues, volunteers, or
patrons who might be interested.

Here is a short description of what we're up to with this show:

 From Whales to Wind: A History of Energy
Ben Franklin once said, “Energy and persistence conquer all things.”
Today, the US persistently consumes about 20,000,000 barrels of
petroleum-based energy per day. What would Franklin say now? In this
episode, BackStory takes on big oil! We’re also taking on big trees, big
water, big whales, and everything else that’s fueled American life for
the past three centuries. How have they shaped the growth and decline of
cities and towns? What are the social costs and benefits of new energy
technologies? What is the relationship between personal fuel sources
(like caffeine and energy bars) and industrialization? Send along your
questions, stories, and ideas, and join us on our power trip!

Hope to hear from you soon!

--
Catherine Moore
Assisting Producer of Research