From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 08:07:11 -0500
At 05:44 PM 2/5/97 -0500, Anne Ciurro wrote:

>We are doing research on the Raiser's Edge distibuted by Blackbaud
>Database program for handling our membership.  Currently we are using MS
>Excel with Access, but we are wondering if we need a more advanced
>database.  Please reply off list.

Does this imply that your present system is not fulfilling your needs?  The
old maxim applies: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  However, as you
undoubtedly know, using a patched up, customized, idiosyncratic program
that is unique to your institution has disadvantages. There is no community
of users, advanced functions are not present, use of the system is
dependent on house traditions, etc.

Using a popular, sophisticated program like Blackbaud's does have
advantages.  But it requires a commitment.  Further, since it is a general
accounting system for non-profits it may offer more than you need, for
example, fund accounting.  There are programs specifically aimed at
membership management that perhaps you should consider.  My advice, as
always, is to consult a consultant.

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant
P.O. Box 93