From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:46:40 -0700
Hi Joy,

This is a common and not surprising problem and it does not mean at
all that the urine is of recent vintage. I once did a project in an
18th century jail that went out of active use in the late 19th century
and the urine smell was still very strong.

The problem is that the uric acid penetrates the masonary or concrete
and then every time the humidity goes up the salts recrystallize on
the surface of the floor or wall.

Here is a web link by a vendor on removing urine odors from concrete floors.

http://www.bedwettingstore.com/Stain_Removers/How_To_Guides/urine_stains_concrete.html

My best historical odoriferous encounter was when I was doing
archaeological consersvation on a big cast iron tripod leg pot from
Bacon's Castle in Virginia (ca. 1676), and as I was removing soil
accretions and then the delaminating iron oxides the strong smell of
400 year old grease filled the lab!

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey