From:
Peter van Mensch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:05:34 +0200
>I was wondering if anyone has done any computations which lead to
estimating the cost of keeping individual objects stored/displayed/etc. in
perpetuity.  It would be an interesting figure to influence museums with a
fluid collections policy. Timothy Lupin (New Orleans)

See also:

G.C.Bank, 'Determining the cost: architect George Hartman's formula', Museum
News 66, 1988, (5): 74).

And:

B. Lord, G. Dexter Lord & J. Nicks, The cost of collecting. Collection
management in UK museums (HMSO, London 1989).

Ten years old, but still valid in my opinion.

Dr Peter van Mensch
senior lecturer of theoretical museology and museum ethics
course director Master's Degree Programme
Reinwardt Academie
Amsterdam