From:
Lori Tomlinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:00:20 -0400
Hi Listers!

I am seeking guidance from those of you whose museums are operated by your county or city government, and given financial assitance by a non-profit support organization.  We are in the process of being brought under our county government (we are currently operated by a private non-profit corporation). I had my first meeting today with the County's  Risk Management Dept.  Many questions have come up, with respect to insurance coverage.  (1) When you rent an exhibit from a museum or traveling exhibit company, what types of insurance do you require of them, with regard to liability (an exhibit component collapses and causes injury, the content of an exhibit panel is deemed offensive by a visitor, etc.)?  Do you require coverage, or proof of coverage, from museums that loan you artifacts/exhibits free of charge?  What types of insurance coverage are required from any independent contractors you work with?  Who covers the liability for fundraising events (galas, dinners, etc.) held by your non-profit support organization?

I know this is a very tricky area, and any advice or guidance you can offer will be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Lori Tomlinson
Executive Director
Florida Adventure Museum (soon to be Charlotte County Historical Center)
Punta Gorda, Fla. USA