From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:04:24 -0500
Let us put this down to Friday stress and (at least here in the Midwest)
extensive grayness of weather.

I would like to add, however, that not many of us are aware of how computer
text readers work and that friendly suggestions for making our e-mail easier
to read/hear also makes it more like that those postings will also be
read/heard.

My visually impaired husband's ZoomText reader always includes all those ">"
at the beginning of each line of forwarded text which make it very hard to
concentrate on the message when a slightly mechanical male voice continually
interrupts himself every four or five words to say "greater than"  And you
really haven't lived until you've heard a multiply-forwarded message
("greater than greater than greater than Dear Janice greater than greater
than greater than").  He has trained me to cut and paste rather than simply
forward.  And his solution to the problem?   If it's forwarded without
editing the ">" out he simply deletes it without reading.

janice

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College
www.mitchellmuseum.org