From:
"HARVEY DAVID ... COLLECTIONS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:38:20 -0400
Outdoor bronze Cannon should be treated just the same as outdoor bronze sculpture.  They need to be examined at least once or twice a year and their condition documented.  If previously cleaned and coated with wax the surface needs a light re-cleaning and reapplication and buffing of wax.  The stable green patina should never be disturbed unless there is an overriding need to clean because of the formation of active corrosion products.  I would not recommend painting a bronze cannon unless it is going to be unattended and unmonitored for long periods of time (years).  That would be the same effect as painting the verdigris surface of the Statue of Liberty!  It is especially important to regularly inspect the wooden carriages and look for signs of damage:  ie., rot, splitting of the wood, etc.  If not maintained the carriages can collapse under the weight that they bear.

The only problem with outdoor Cannon is that there are spots that are problematic to reach due to their being mounted on their carriages - you have to be somewhat of a gymnast to reach some recessed areas.  I would also caution about leaving one parked in the shade.  You actually want to have them exposed to significant amounts of sunlight so the condensation and rain will dry and not remain on the surface to cause corrosion.  We have two cast iron Cannon tubes under an outdoor shed that are corroding terribly and we have an identical pair that have been out in the sun that are in excellent condition.

If there is a significant problem then contact your local conservator who is experienced in outdoor sculpture for advice.  You can contact the AIC for a free referral listing of conservators in your area:  [log in to unmask]

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Asscoiate Conservator,