From:
Mike Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 09:09:28 -0500
Hi Erica,

Your question about collection-less museums is very interesting.  I work for
a traveling exhibition service focusing on the visual arts.  We organize and
tour exhibitions in partnership with museums and independent curators in
order to encourage museums to share their wealth, so to speak, and provide
small and medium-sized museums outside the major art markets with access to
a wide variety of art they might not otherwise see.  While I'm not certain
of the number, I'd say that at approximately a quarter of our patrons do not
have collections of their own.

What I would like to hear from other list members is, what are advantages of
not possessing a collection?  What is the line between "art centers" and
"galleries"?  And how, if at all, does the lack of a collection affect the
educational goals of an institution?

Mike

Mike Willis
Curator of Education
ExhibitsUSA
phone. 1-800-473-3872 ext. 214
fax. 816-421-3918
email. [log in to unmask]

-------------
Hi, museum folk,

I'm a museology master's student, and I'm writing my master's thesis on the
shift away from object-based exhibits.  I've read an unsupported assertion
that "hundreds of museums have been formed in the last five years that do
not have collections."  Other than science centers and children's museums,
I'm wondering what other museums are out there that do not own collections?

One local example here in Washington is the Bellevue Art Museum, which just
liquidated its colleciton in order to direct its resources towards art
education, and will not operate more as an art center that exhibits
traveling exhibits, or works on loan.

Anything else come to mind? Respond direct or post to list; I'll check back.

Thanks,
Erica

Museum-L" (without the quotes).