From:
"D. Neil Bremer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:30:51 -0600
Robert A. Baron wrote:
>No matter what one thinks about theme parks and Disneyland/world, I find it
>rather difficult to understand how anyone could think that these marvelous
>institutions have museum-like functions.

I suppose they don't have museum-like functions, if you are a part of
the old school that thinks museums do not have to care about public
accessibility or engagement.

Your entire argument is based on truth...museums have it...Disney or
others do not feel it is absolutely neccessary.  I contend that if
museums could exhibit truthfully, but with the added sense of "story"
that Disney does so well, society at large would more easily be
engaged.

Museum Education is an entire area of expertise that has evolved to
somehow create a connection between encyclopedic collections and the
viewer.  If the collection can be displayed and tell a story...having a
docent telling you every step of the way exactly WHY something is
important would not be a requirement.  Please do not  misinterpret my
point...some of the most wonderful times I've experienced in museums
have been the private little tours by docents or curators.  That sort of
connection will always be around.  But, it should not have to be a
requirement just to relate to the exhibits.  As professionals, we should
find a way to create those stories so that the viewer can make their own
connection without an intermediary...a sort of museum priest promising
we will be enlightened.  After all, you're the one who said: "Without
context objects are meaningless..."

Imagine if other areas of culture were delivered to end-users like
museums.  The cinema, for example.  Suppose you went to see a film,
expecting to be engaged and moved.  You get to your seat only to find
it's a foreign language film you cannot easily understand.  You can pick
up some of what's happening but you need the subtitles to help you.
Only, you cannot read the subtitles because they are too small and hard
to see against the background.  So, what the Movie Professionals do is
put someone from Movie Education in the seat next to you-talking in your
ear the entire time, telling you what is going on and why this movie is
IMPORTANT for you to see.  The Movie Docent.

I believe some very forward-thinking "museum people" are making strides
in using collections to tell a story. This change in museum focus is
borne out of purpose.  If we collect and preserve for society, we
certainly need to be empathetic to how society is served.  Are we
sparking the sort of passion in visitors that everyone on this list
feels when we think of museums?  I'm not sure.

--
D. Neil Bremer
Bremer Communications