From:
Henry Grunder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:42:00 EST
Good advice, Helen, but I want to quibble just a bit: sling
psychrometers are less useful (the obtained data less
reliable) than "aspirated psychrometers" - battery operated -
because they are too subject to operator variation. Any
instrument using thermometers, such as either type of
psychrometer, must be placed in a location of stable temp to
allow equilibration for a time. What that time is, is hard to
say. I was taught to not rely on the thermometers in a
psychrometer for the purpose of calibrating the temp side (the
[usually] bimetallic strip), but to instead use a very accurate
separate themometer. Themometers come in different gradation of
distance from NIST standard, ranging down from actual
NIST-tested ones, through "NIST-derived," etc. We rely on a
Kodak Process Thermometer, Type 3. This is a color photography
processing thermometer, and color processing is notoriously
inflexible in all variables, including temp. This is not an
endorsement, but Kodak claims that "The Fahrenheit scale is
accurate to +-0.25 degree at 15, 25, 77, 86, and 122 deg F and
+- 0.50 degree over the rest of the scale." That should be
close enough.
Then, to achieve the equilibration stability, we stand the
thermometer in a tall vessel of water - a beaker, as it happens
- for 24 hours, to allow the water to water to equilibrate with
ambient air temp. This method eliminates the effects of vagrant
drafts.
Some of our older instruments were made by Bendix. I believe
that their corporate successor with these is the Belfort
Instrument Co. in Baltimore. This, of course, raises the issue
of pens using oli-base inks, inked by the owner, vs. the
proprietary ballpoint types. There are pros & cons to each.
Henry Grunder
Conservation/Preservation Coordinator
The Library of Virginia