From:
Frank D Preusser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 15:34:20 -0400
We apologize for multiple postings. The following message is  posted for a
collegue who does not subscribe to the lists.  Please send your replies
directly to him.  ([log in to unmask]; FAX 310-440.7711; phone 310-440.6807)

 To  conservators, restorers and conservation scientists:

       This is a plea for help.  I am writing a book on the use of
acrylic polymers for stone preservation which will be a volume  in
the series "Research in Conservation". There are areas of usage of
acrylic polymers where I would like to get more descriptive
information and more discussion of hands-on work than I can find in
the available literature. In particular I need information on the
following topics:
        1.  The use of acrylic polymers, particularly B-72, for the
treatment of marble statuary and structures in Italy.  Many
treatments were done in the early eighties with this acrylic
copolymer.  However, the use of B-72 fell out of favor later in the
decade and was replaced by ethyl silicate. I would like to know more
about how and why this was done, particularly as case histories
describing observed failures noted by restorers dealing with this
situation.  What were the problems and properties attendant the
appliication of B72 that caused its usage to be discontinued?
       2.  Does anyone have any information on the use of acrylic
polymers for exterior stone work in the United States or in Europe
outside of Italy?
        3.  Acrylic polymers have been  used for the treatment of a
variety of museum stone and ceramic objects.  I would like to learn
more about the ways that  you have used these polymers for objects
maintained indoors, or for any other important and interesting
applications such as for mosaics or earthen architecture.

       If you have information that you would be willing to share
with the conservation community and are willing to have it included
in my book, please contact me.  I would like to arrange for an
interview (most likely by telephone) where we can talk about  your
work.  ([log in to unmask]; FAX 310-440.7711; phone 310-440.6807)

                   Thank you,

                   Charles Selwitz