From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 07:21:59 GMT
Michel Harnois <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article
<l03010d01b013ff9353d3@[207.134.144.70]>...

> About the type of information that one should find on a label of an
> interactive science exhibit, i would say that an hands-on without any
> instructions nor scientific explanations nor historical context has no
> value at all.  Let the people go in an arcade instead, where they can
push,
> pull or use their reflex to repletion.
>
> In my point of view, an hands-on is a mean by which one can understand a
> scientific principle by experimenting or manipulating objects that are
> related to the topic.  The value of an hands-on is in its capacity to
help
> understand an abstract principle.

Aren't some conventional, hands-off museum exhibits specifically designed
to convey FEELINGS as well as FACTS? Certain feelings are skilfully
'designed for' in some museum exhibits, without use of labels. But perhaps
these are 'cultural' things that don't apply to science!

There is a widespread notion that 'feelings' do not belong among a science
educator's set of objectives. This is partly because they are harder to
define and evaluate than 'knowledge and understanding', and they are
therefore formally ignored in most school curricula.

Good hands-on science centres can be spectactularly successful in
cultivating positive feelings about science (and about many other things as
well).

One aim of many science centre designers is to counteract the popular myth
that 'science' is something separate from 'culture'. In doing this they do
not always use hands-on exhibits purely as conventional teaching aids.

Many hands-on exhibits in a science centre can be EXCELLENT teaching aids
for increased knowledge and understanding, and these deserve to have the
best possible labels (and often there is scope for improvement).

But, sometimes, where the presence of an intimidatingly detailed label is
likely to undermine the 'affective', emotional response intended, there is
no need for science centre designers to be governed by the prejudice of
their critics or by the popular undervaluing of 'scientific culture'.

--
Ian Russell    :-)nteractive Science Ltd, UK   A home-grown quote:
*Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.