Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:02:09 -0500
Hi Roeland,

Thanks for providing so much more info -- from the original post it was hard
to tell what stage your organization was at on the issue making it was
difficult to jump in and help out in the way you requested.  Everything
you've just written sounds like good reasons to acquire the work.  I'm sorry
to hear this is a last piece by the artist - from the sounds of it, he must
have been a person who had a great and positive impact on others.  I agree
with the others who suggested you contact the Centre for Disease Control but
it should be okay.  I can think of no reason not to acquire the piece given
more complete knowledge of its circumstances and as I wrote before, when
there's a will there's a way!

I'm not an expert, but it still seems that conservation could be specific to
the format of the piece.  It probably needs to be encased in some sort of
mostly-permanent manner and then exhibited in that same container to prevent
unnecessary oxidization and to discourage entry of insects or bacteria.
Does anyone know if blood is light sensitive?  Maybe that will determine the
extent to which the object could tolerate being exhibited?

The Canadian Conservation Institute offers free advice on general
inquiries -- I'm sure they can offer some lead, at the very least:

If images of the work do become available I hope you will post links to them
here -- I am very interested in learning more about the artist and this
particular piece.

Cheers,
Milena