From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:54:29 -0500
Douglass, Amy wrote:

> You assumed falsely that I was refering to myself when I spoke about
> views that are not expressed.  I write my Congressmen quite frequently
> and do make my own views expressed.  I was refering to other groups and
> individuals that, for whatever reason (poverty, lack of awareness about
> the issues being debated, etc, etc) are disenfrachised.  Yes, ideally
> the government is us and we all have the opportunity to express our
> opinions.  But the reality is that some people think they will not be
> heard or that their opinions do not matter, so they do not speak out.
> Somehow, they need to be encouraged to speak up and the government needs
> to be responsive when they do.

My last, on the assumption (before you corrected me) that you were one
of those "others" was intended to encourage you.  I agree that there are
far to many out there who don't think they are listened to. I have led
"Great Decisions" foreign policy discussion groups for thirty years,
trying to get people to communicate their opinions on those issues to
the decision-makers and am not sure I have made a dent yet.

Bob Handy