From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 16:14:45 -0500
At 01:53 PM 11/5/96 -0500, Tracy Keifer wrote:

>I'm writing a paper on Bill Gates' Corbis Corporation for one of my
>classes the Univ of MD College of Library and Info Services and would
>like to get some feedback from the museum community.

One recent article on Corbis may be found in an edition of Art News.
Another is set to appear as the lead article in the upcoming special edition
of the journal VISUAL RESOURCES.  In this article, Karen Akiyama, the
manager of Corbis' legal affairs division, discusses some of the contract
terms and issues in agreements Corbis has made with its image suppliers.
She also explains some of the kinds of responsibilities the company has
undertaken on behalf of their clients and suppliers.

This edition of VISUAL RESOURCES is scheduled to appear in December.  For
those readers who may have interest in this publication, I am attaching a
copy of the table of contents below.  If you wish to receive information on
how to order this edition you may write to me and I will place your name on
the distribution list of those people interested.

Robert A. Baron, Guest Editor
VISUAL RESOURCES: on copyright

Visual Resources
Special Issue on Copyright of Images
Table of Contents

    Robert A. Baron, Editor's Introduction, Summary and Analysis

IMAGE PROVIDERS

    Karen A. Akiyama (Manager of Business and Legal Affairs,
        Corbis Corporation), Rights and Responsibilities in the
        Digital Age
    David Bearman (Archives and Museum Informatics) and Jennifer
        Trant (Getty Art History Information Program, Imaging
        Initiative), Museums and Intellectual Property:
        Rethinking Rights Management for a Digital World
    Amalyah Keshet (Visual Resources Department, The Israel
        Museum, Jerusalem), Fair Use, Fair Trade, and Museum
        Image Licensing
    Allan Kohl (Visual Resources Librarian, Minneapolis College
        of Art & Design), Prospects for a Public Domain Art Image
        Resource in an Era of Digital Technologies

ANALYSIS, INTERPRETATION and OPINION

Visual Resources Archives
    Christine L. Sundt (Architecture and Allied Arts Library,
        University of Oregon), A Visual Resources Advocacy
        Statement
    Maryly Snow (Library, University of California, Berkeley) The
        Pedagogical Consequences of Photomechanical Reproduction
        in the Visual Histories: From Copy Photography to Digital
        Mnemonics
    Patricia Taylor (Southwest Texas University), By Line
        Drawings Ye Shall Know Them: Consequences of Barriers to
        Digital Reproduction
    Karlene M. McLaren (Roswell Independent School District,
        Roswell, New Mexico), Copyright: Fair Use or Foul Play

Museums
    Stephen E. Weil (Emeritus Senior Scholar in the Smithsonian
        Institution's Center for Museum Studies), Fair Use/Museum
        Use: How Close is the Overlap?
    Peter Walsh (Davis Museum and Cultural Center, Wellesley
        College), Art Museums and Copyright: A Hidden Dilemma

LAW, LEGISLATION and NEWS

United States
    Barbara Hoffman (Schwartz, Weiss, Steckler & Hoffman), Fair
        Use of Digital Art Images and Academia: A View from the
        Trenches of the Conference on Fair Use (CONFU)
    Virginia M.G. Hall (Johns Hopkins University), Fair Use and
        Digital Image Archives: A Report on the National
        Information Infrastructure Conference on Fair Use
    Caron L. Carnahan (Slide Librarian, Williams College), The
        Visual Surrogate as Intellectual Property: the Clinton
        Administration's "White Paper" and its Implications for
        Visual Resources Collections

Canada
    Barbara Lang Rottenberg (Policy Director for the Canadian
        Heritage Information Network) and Rina Elster Pantalony
        (Policy Analyst for the Department of Canadian Heritage),
        Moral Rights and Exhibition Rights: A Canadian Museum's
        Perspective
    Linda Bien (Head, Slide Library, Concordia University),
        Canadian Visual Resources and Canadian Copyright

REVIEW

    Maryly Snow, Review of Copyright, Public Policy, and the
        Scholarly Community, Michael Matthews and Patricia
        Brennan, ed. Association of Research Libraries (ARL),
        Washington, D.C., 1995.