From:
"Tim A. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:19:31 -0500
Robert-
        Why not ask your curator to direct her web-browser to a series of
web-pages detailing the full-scale excavations of a prehistoric farming
village in western Iowa?  The Cowan Site (13WD88) was excavated by the
General Contracts Program of the Office of the State Archaeologist of Iowa
during April-July 1998.  The site represents a 900-950 year old village
occupied by the Great Oasis Culture near present day Sioux City, Iowa.
        The web site, is linked to the "Current Research" section of our Index Page:
http://www.uiowa.edu/~osa/index.html
Check it out!  It might give those enrolled in your summer youth
archaeology program an idea what it is like to excavate a large, intact
archaeological site.  (The pages are best viewed with your monitor
resolution set at 800x600 or higher.)
Timothy Reed
Office of the State Archaeologist of Iowa
University of Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa