From:
George Buss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:44:47 -0500
Martin,

I applaud you on your interest in the narrative story-line approach to
exhibitions.  Live storytelling is an incredibly effective way to reach
this goal and relatively inexpensive in comparison to the cost of five
or six additional well designed exhibit modules.

I know that my institution would be very interested in hosting an
exhibit with a live actor/storyteller component.  We however do have
staff that are hired for Science Theater and so could perform this piece
in house.

Many institutions have been exploring the connections between art and
science, and have made formal and informal partnerships with local
theater companies in their community for additional programming to
supplement exhibitions. This kind of partnership is usually highly
sponsorable by local support and is a great chance for higher visibility
for both institutions.

You could contact the International Museum Theater Alliance. IMTAL is
dedicated to promoting theater as an informal educational tool inside
museums, zoos, aquariums, and science centers. They host sessions at AAM
as well as a showcase to educate museum professionals about this very
subject and I am sure that they could assist in the identification of
appropriate storyteller/actors for venues.

Thank you for exploring new and exciting ways to engage our guests.

George Buss
Public Programs Manager
Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts
222 Market St
Harrisburg Pa 17101

Vice President
International Museum Theater Alliance