From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:02:07 +0100
You are of course correct (though the Verulamium Museum at St Albans is
not the best example, as it has always charged even in the days when
museum charges were illegal, being regarded by its local councilas an
archaeological site museum for decades).

In contrast with the growth in funding (even through the harder times)
for the national institutions there is no sign at all that the last
Conservative government's policy of squeezing democratic local government
to total extinction through ever more severe funding "settelements" year
on year.  Non-compulsory services such as museums and the arts usually
taken far more than their fair share of budget "economies" in
comparision with compulsory services such as education, police, social
services etc.

Things seem certain to get worse, since almost universally local authority
museum services - including many of international importance - have
now lost their distinct identity altogether and have been merged/taken
over or however you like to describe it into departments of "leisure",
"tourism", "community services" or even departments called "client
services".  (Would that George Orwell was alive today!!)  Even the very
largest have not been spared: Glasgow Museums and Art Galleries "went
under" last month, and in many cases the most senior museum professionals
are so low in the new bureacracies that they don't even have the right to
speak direct to the chiefs of these new mega-departments - let alone the
political leaders of their governing body - and may well be at third or
even four "tier" within the new staff structure.

With no relief for the overall financial crisis in local government and
with no museum professional able to argue the case for e.g. professional
standards or free admission at the political level, the outlook is bleak.

Patrick Boylan