From:
Ellen Carrlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:17:16 -0800
Hi Jane,
Many of us in Alaska have used Bora-Care on outdoor wood (totem
poles)with good results, and there is good precedent for it on museum
artifacts.  You might want to look at:
http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/tps/technotes/PTN39/intro.htm

Al Levitan at the National Parks Service is very knowledgeable (you can
google for his contact info.)  If the artifact will get wet, the object
will need a water repellent such as TSP and need to be re-applied on a
maintenance schedule, as Bora-Care is water soluble.  I found the folks
who make Bora-Care to be quite helpful about application and use of
their product.
Contact me off list if you want to talk further...or if you need info
about killing the bugs.

Good luck!
Ellen Carrlee
Curator of Collections and Exhibits