Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:30:52 -0700
--- Sue Fischer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a 1923 photo that needs some help.  The owner put Scotch tape
> on the face to try to repair some cracks in the emulsion.  The tape
> has now turned yellow and brittle and is starting to come off in
> places.  Is it possible to remove the rest of the tape safely, and is
> there any way to get the tape residue off of the photo?  Any
> suggestions for the crumbling edges?  I've don paper conservation,
> but am new at photos.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Suzanne Fischer
> Curator of Material Culture
> Louisiana State Museum
> P.O. Box 2448
> New Orleans, LA  70176
>
> 504-568-5459 office
> 504-599-1950 fax
===========================================>

Sue,

Being from 1923, the photo is likely a silver-gelatin emulsion (though
one can't be positive without examining it) and would probably not be
hurt by organic solvents. You speak of the cellophane(?) carrier
peeling, which indicates the failure of the adhesive.

What is worrisome is the crack in the emulsion which the tape was
intended to repair. If you manage to dissolve  the old adhesive, the
solvent will carry the dissolved yellow debris into the crack, where it
will be absorbed into the porous paper substrate, disfiguring it
permanently. So be careful!

After removing the cellophane backing mechanically and/or with heat,I
would probably try to swell the old adhesive by subjecting it to
solvent fumes overnight, or by using a poultice. The adhesive would
soften an turn into a gummy mass, which can be picked off the surface.
The solvent needed would depend on the composition of the adhesive and
its lack of interaction with the photograph.

I don’t dare to get specific as to solvents, just wanted to outline the
usual considerations in developing a treatment method. Below are a few
links you may find helpful and also feel free to contact me off list if
you want to discuss details.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/14-04.pdf
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/roosa/roosa1.html
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/abbey/an/an23/an23-4/an23-409.html
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/chapters/newengland/html/tape_removal.shtml

also Google "tape removal" for many useful hits.

Hope this helps,

George

George Schwartz
ConservArt - Master Frame Makers and Art Conservators
http://www.ConservArt.com
8177 Glades Road #16 - Boca Raton, FL 33434 U.S.A.
Tel:(561)482-7292 - Fax:(561)482-6787
mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Tired of Spam? Checkout Email Defense!

http://www.lanechange.net/html/email_defense.shtml