From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:51:12 -0400
Ignore any advice you get from people who admit they have no clue how to
clean a rug but just want to offer you advice.

Instead you could do a couple of things.

A) you could start to build your personal or institutional reference
library by visiting the wonderful web site maintained by the National Park
Service (USA).  There they publish a series of conserv-o-grams--free--on
many commonly asked conservation questions.
http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/cons_toc.html

B) visit the web site or make a phone call to a professional conservation
facility. You might start with the American Institute for Conservation
(AIC) http://aic.stanford.edu/
The AIC can help you locate a professional, trained, conservator who can
advise you on what is appropriate for you to attempt yourself (i.e.
vaccuuming a textile) and what is not (oh, say, wet washing). Many
conservators are happy to provide an initial consultation at no charge.

C) Purchase the wonderful conservation and collections management series
published by the Canadian Conservation Institute, called CCI notes. These
are available in French and English. Here's the link to the English home
page http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/main_e.aspx

D) find some basic training in collecions care, I have a personal interest
in the Campbell Center for Historic Preservation Studies which offeres
training for people in the historic preservation, conservation, and
collections care fields. http://www.campbellcenter.org/
Helen Alten offers on-line courses and often announces them on Museum-L.
Search the archives and you'll find her contact info. My personal bias is
for in person training. This is not meant as a cut against Helen by any
means. She offers in-person training too.

E) review the bookstore of the American Association of Museums for works
specific to your needs. If you can't afford to purchase the books, you
might find them on interlibrary loan, at a university library, in the
library of a nearby large museum, or in the lending library of your state
or regional museum association (although not all of them maintain a
library.)

It is extremely difficult for a professional to give you specific advice
without examining your objects in person. Exceptions exist and basic care
advice can easily be given over the phone. Be cautious of anything that
sounds like a home remedy. It will likely cause more damage than good.

Diane Gutenkauf

Information is the best defense against ignorance.