From:
Harold Olejarz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 1994 21:25:43 -0400
Stephan Ferguson writes:

From:         Stephen Ferguson
Subject:      Computing, children, and reading
To:           Multiple recipients of list MUSEUM-L
<MUSEUM-L%UNMVMA.BITNET@ARIZV
M1.ccit.arizona.edu>

For a new project, I'm in the process of collecting information
about using interactive computing / multimedia computing
to get children interested in reading books.
And this automation would be used in an exhibition gallery
setting -- using the computers would be part of the
experience of visiting the gallery, along with viewing
historic children's books, prints, drawings, as well as hearing
staff talk about what's on exhibit

I teach art in a middle school in NJ, Ridgewood.  Though I use technology in
my classroom and not a museum I thought this might be of interest to the
discussion...

I have written an interactive HyperCArd stack that runs with a videodisc.
The stack simulates a museum experience insofar as there are exhi8bitions
and gallery maps.  The user "visits" an exhibition and may see images by
clicking on frames that contain titles and artists names.  When the user
clicks to see an image a field of text appears that contains information
about the image.

The text makes points that I want my students to know.  I haven't thought of
using the text to inspire students to look at books about the art but thanks
to the posting I will give it a try in the future.
--
Harold Olejarz            ('/')       ("/")       (*/*)       (^/^)
13 Esmond Place             -           -           -           -