From:
Randi Sue Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:07:44 -0700
I believe some kinds of engineers (ASHRAE? America Society of Heating,
Refrigeration, and Airconditioning Engineers?) and some HVAC system people
can calculate this for room size spaces/whole buildings.  They calculate
heating and cooling loads, and figure in local climate conditions, and
maybe building structure, insulation, etc.  Do you need to humidify and
dehumidify?  I have seen figures for amounts of silica gel needed to
stabilize a storage case (probably in the catalogs selling selica gel, as
well as other references).  Portable humidifier and dehumidifier sales
literature includes output information in various forms.

Good luck!

Randi Sue Smith
Curator
D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery
423 Hatchery Circle
Spearfish, SD  57783
605-642-7730
605-642-2336 fax

                    Oliver Hirsch
                    <archivalframing@JUN        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    O.COM>                      cc:
                    Sent by: Museum             Subject:     Relative Humidity Question
                    discussion list
                    LSOFT.COM>

                    11/06/2001 03:51 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Museum discussion
                    list

We are involved in an art storage project for a client, and have a question
regarding stabilizing the relative humidity of our space.  We aim to
maintain a RH of 40%, and are writing the List to ask if anyone might be
familiar with a formula or a rule-of-thumb that allows one to calculate the
size of humidification unit required to stabilize RHat 40-50% in relation
to a specified cubic footage?  Thank you in advance for any help.

Best,
Noelle Roberts
Hirsch and Associates Fine Arts Services
New York

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).