From:
Bill Mulligan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:21:13 -0600
At 11:23 PM 3/30/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I certainly hope these 'volunteers' are exempt from wages & hours
>legislation. If not, they may not LEGALILY 'volunteer.' Gotta watch that
>sort of stuff. Best.

Yes, you always have to watch the legal details, but if the staff in
question are salaried and not paid by the hour, they can work more than 40
hours without being paid extra. This may not be nice, but it is legal and
very common. I suspect most on the list would think of a forty hour week as
a short one.   Both salaried and hourly staff can receeve compensatory time
off instead of overtime for work beyond their usual amount. Also, if people
truly volunteer (and this can be slippery slope, I admit) they can pretty
much do what they want with their own time. Bill Mulligan

William H. Mulligan, Jr. [[log in to unmask]]
Associate Professor of History
Director - Forrest C. Pogue Public History Institute
Murray State University - Murray, KY 42071-0009
Phone:(502) 762-6571 Fax:(502) 762-6587
Pogue Institute web site:
http://campus.murraystate.edu/academic/faculty/Bill.Mulligan/Index.htm
Personal web site: