From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:16:05 -0500
On the subject of internet usage, here's a great article on "Spyware"
which transmits user info from your computer along with other devious
things.

http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/

I will say that I've had a firewall and an anti-virus program on my
computer since I got it nearly 3 years ago and haven't had a problem.
I also run a couple of spyware removal programs like Spybot and
AdAware on a weekly basis.

The biggest thing you can do to protect your computer is just don't
download anything unless it is from a trusted sight. Company sites
like Microsoft, Adobe, and Macromedia are fine (though you might get a
few minor spyware programs.) DON'T download games, funny jokes, or
anything else from a company you've never heard of. Avoid anything
that requires a program called "Wild Tangent" or numerous other
programs. Don't click on the pop-ups that offer to give you fun
cursors, screensavers, or set your homepage.

Spyware, viruses, and other harmful programs are getting sneakier and
sneakier these days but if people pay attention to what they are doing
when they are on the Internet, you can significantly reduce the amount
of "crap" that gets into your computer.

Deb