From:
Hervé Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:59:41 -0400
Dear Jennifer,

I'm director of a Museum located in an 1859 mansion in Stanstead, Québec
(Canada).  Like you, our permanent exhibition consists of the interior of the
mansion, which was donated furnished with originals.  We've had to contend
with the issue of the wear and tear of carpets and adopted two different
solutions: 1) we've replaced the most fragile ones wit copies - usually 1950's
imitations of victorian motifs, which one can easily find in antique shops; 2)
we ask visitors to wear those stupid-looking operating-room pale-blue shoe
covers.  As for your second question, my approach is that, to a certain
extent, objects that have remained in excellent shape while they were being
used for what they were meant can keep on doing just that for a while longer.
As curator, it's my job to assertain if they can and when to stop.  Again, the
use of a good copy could be advised in some cases.

Hope this helps

Hervé Gagnon, Ph.D.
Director-curator
Colby-Curtis Museum