From:
Timothy Wade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 10:16:18 EDT
On a side note that is somewhat relevent to this topic...

I worked at an archives at a rather large Souther University for a few
years. A sports team at this university had recently undergone several
scandals regarding theft at the mall by several of the team members, and
it aroused a great deal of unpleasant feelings quite a few people.

At the time I handled all incoming donations for the institution, and we
had a rather large collection of items that was a wonderful addition to
our archive. I did my usual bit with it, and placed it into restricted
until we had resovled all issues with the Deed of Gift and whatnot. A few
weeks later, we recieved a letter back from this gentleman who stated in
no uncertian terms that he did NOT want his items donated to a university
that would allow such misdeeds as those that happened on the sports team
to have possession of his items.

The collection hadn't been fully accessioned yet, as we did not have our
signed deed of gift. So it wasn't a major issue to return it. But it was
one of the saddest days when I had to pack up his collection and mail it
back to him. And the most infuriating part is that some stupid act of
another individual hurt the archive, and they would never know.

Such is life, huh?