From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 16:07:39 -0400
On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Jillian Shoblock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I guess I will throw my hat in the ring to. I recently graduated with my MA in Art Gallery and Museum Studies from a program in England and am working on my third internship and am finding in difficult to get an interview, as well.

Degrees and internships are helpful but I've found that real job
experience is where it counts. You really do need a masters to get
into the field but you also need a solid work history - in any field.
Admin skills, fund-raising, budgeting, event coordination, and program
management skills transfer over all career fields. Social media,
outreach and media relations are also very handy skills to have. Even
if your first or second job isn't in a museum, get a job, start paying
off your student loan debts and volunteer on the side. That will get
your contacts and job experience. Once you have a resume that isn't
just degrees and internships, then museums will start to look at you.

Look in the non-profit sector or local or government sector. Those can
be a way in to museum jobs, especially government-run museums. Or look
for companies that do business with museums like exhibit design
companies, education companies, or event planning companies. Just get
out there and work.

Deb Fuller