From:
Tim Atherton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:24:37 -0600
> Yep. I just got a "rejected post" message from Museum-L about a
> post with my
> spoofed address. I can certify that both my home and my work computers are
> clean of the virus. Seems like I've done nothing all day but delete virus
> messages.
>
> What a pain in the a#% virus!!

BTW - to get rid of spam, I signed onto SpamAssassin (free) - not sure about
the downsides (I guess all my email gets routed through there, so maybe it's
a big conspiracy to read people's email...), but it seems to do the trick -
I now have a folder set up for spam and SpamAssassin just dumps it all in
there. Every few days I take a scroll through to make sure it hasn't caught
anything real, then just delete the whole batch in one go.

http://spamassassin.org/index.html

An added benefit is that it seems to catch about 95% of all the virus emails
as spam too - which also get dumped in there.

I still have to deal with the annoying habit of Norton AV which requires me
to click for every virus email it finds (my version doesn't seem to be able
to configured so it just does it without asking me) but most of them still
end up in the spam folder after that.

So apart from the "returned/bounced mail" from infectees with my email
address, most of the spam and virus email ends up conveniently in one folder
and I can just ignore most of it, it's not cluttering up my inbox, and I can
delete when I have time, all in one go.

tim