From:
_Richard Efthim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 13:47:27 EST
As a program director for a 30,000+ object public study collection at the
National Museum of Natural History in Washington, I too think that the
list would find discussions of this sort interesting.  We serve over
12,000 visitors each year, with education our principle focus...both
through formal school programs and individual study... We obviously have
collections management functions, although to avoid conflicts, we don't
have accessioning authority.  Sometimes I think our Registrar isn't sure
what kind of hybrid organism to classify us as and how to fit us into the
more traditional and formal museum environment.  Are these the sorts of
"unique situtation" concerns that others would be interested in peeking in
on or contributing to?

_Richard Efthim, Naturalist Center
_National Museum of Natural History
_Washington, DC 20560
_(202)357-1503   fax:(202)786-2778   [log in to unmask]