From:
Stuart Park <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 08:01:08 +1200
Yes, Ken and all, Y2K is certainly something to take seriously.

The other area to be really concerned about, for larger museums at
least, is the Y2K compliance of your suppliers, too.  If you are reliant
on regular delivery of products or services to keep your museum running
(retail, food, alarm monitoring, payroll, security....) then you need to
get your suppliers to affirm that they too are checking their systems
(and their suppliers, too) to guarantee you that they can continue to
deliver service to you on and after 1 January 2000.

And don't forget, 2000 is a leap year.  In testing your systems, make
sure they can cope with 29 February 2000.  Some systems that will
survive 1 January will crash on 29 February.

___________

Stuart Park
Director Museum Resources and National Services
TE PAPA Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Wellington, New Zealand
(+64-4) 381-7251

        [Stuart Park]  Snip
> I would like to draw everyone's attention to the fact that the
> equipment
> running their climate control, security and fire suppression systems
> may be
> at risk due to microchips with date function flaws.
        [Stuart Park]  Snip...