From:
Sam Shogren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:56:41 -0500
The short answer is there is no one "right" answer for the size of a board.

The size of the board is dependent on where you are in your organization's
life cycle, your organization's role in your community, the board's role in
your community, what the staff and ED need the Board to do, and what the
Board itself sees as its role.

Then there is the conversation concerning the "type" of board you have or
want.  Are they volunteer muscle, donated professional expertise, givers &
getters, networkers, oversight or some combination of these and other "types."

Is there a voluntary or mandatory level of board annual giving? $100/yr.,
$500/yr., $5,000/yr , $15,000 yr. or more?

Is a board member on the board because of a distinguished personal or
professional life in the community. I have had a former Olympian on a board
who could not give at the same level as other board members -- which was OK.
We needed to recognize the man and his contributions in life, not what he
could contribute.

The Question is: What do you need your board to do today? In 6 months? in 2
years? and longer term. Each time frame will have a different answer.

16 may be your magic number for where you are today.

I personally tend to see boards that are less than 10 as too small to meet
the demands we place on our board members-particularly the fundraising demands.

How about sharing more of the question behind the question? What are you
trying to address internally? If you are comfortable sharing that info.

RESOURCE: Board Cafe' by CompassPoint in San Fransisco - a short email
newsletter for board members and nonprofit staff.

Hoping this helps...

Sam Shogren, M.PA.
Shogren Consulting - Museums and Nonprofit Advising
15410 NW Oak Hills Dr.
Beaverton, Oregon 97006