From:
Paul Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:31:25 -0700
I think the argument that a Segway is no different than a motorized
wheelchair to be completely unrealistic. In fact, it's a claim that
the manufacturer would disavow. "The SegwayPT has not been designed,
tested or approved as a medical device. You must be able to step on
and off the SegwayPT unassisted, which requires physical abilities
similar to ascending and descending stairs without assistance, and
without holding the handrail." So anyone using a Segway as assistive
technology would be using it outside the manufacturer's guidelines,
which could be considered unsafe use and thus not protected use under
the ADA. Also, in most cases, mobility sufficient to use a Segway and
ability to stand would be the same as needed to go through the
historic house.

Only certain models have non-marring tires and those without could
damage historic flooring. Secondly, while a wheelchair is stationary
if you stop paying attention to the controls, the Segway has the
potential to move independently for short distances if there is a
loss of control. A Segway user also requires greater head clearance.
The potential a Segway has to interfere with the fundamental
preservation nature of the program could also void protected use
under the ADA.

Segway has a faq and manuals with their safety requirements at
http://www.segway.com/faqs/faq.cgi
and
http://www.segway.com/support/docs/

A more analogous device to base policy on would be a bicycle. Unless
the requirement for use of a Segway is coming from someone able and
willing to make an administrative ruling on behalf of the Department
of Interior (which could impact all museums), then this should be
considered more deeply.

- Paul Koenig