From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:51:26 -0800
Well, Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science (1939 to 1991) also had many accessibility challenges, as it was built at a time most disabilities were not considered in building design [although the Planetarium Theater did include the first sound system for those with hearing impairments--both air-conduction and bone-conduction headsets were available to the public in 1939]. We also had one wheelchair for loan, while visiting the building.

Maps given to visitors showed the locations of staircases, public ramp, and the public elevator. The ramp, elevator, and handicapped restrooms and water fountain were installed in 1982, from a Federal grant for accessibility. At that time, the second floor (offices and Library) and third floor(Observatory) remained inaccessible to wheelchair patrons, as the freight elevator, which was converted to a passenger elevator, never went to the second and third floors. However, a chair lift (the
wheelchair had to be carried down the steps separately) was installed to allow the handicapped to access our lowest exhibit gallery (which, again, was not served by the elevator).

Although, in the case of the Observatory, we took extra steps to accomodate wheelchair patrons during the rare apparition of Halley's Comet (1985-1986). For the few wheelchair patrons, several strong staff members simply carried them, wheelchair and all, to the Observatory so they could view Halley's Comet. I am not sure what the insurance company would have said, had they known about this; but there were no incidents.

Here are two examples of the building maps given to visitors:

1987:
< http://buhlplanetarium2.tripod.com/BuhlExplorer1.JPG >

1989:
< http://buhlplanetarium2.tripod.com/BuhlExplorer50th-1.JPG >

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://incline.pghfree.net >
* Public Transit:
  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >