From:
Leah S Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:20:27 -0500
Thank you Terrie for your input and suggestions. I have always been impressed with access at the Lincoln Park Zoo and interested in studying more of that process.

Please allow me to take a moment to clarify:

Universal design in imbedded in all aspects of our education programs and services. NONE of the programs and services that would be outlined in such a brochure are exclusive to deaf and hard of hearing visitors. They are all open to the general public. Our programs and outreach for this audience have been strengthened by working with an advisory group for deaf and hard of hearing visitors who have conducted a full evaluation of all programs and services offered by the museum's education and visitor services departments (programs being those for the general public, school groups, families, adults, and seniors.) Part of this wonderful experience was strengthening our relationship with the Deaf community and understanding their needs and desired in order to make the museum a welcoming place for them.

As for printed materials to target this audience, there is a huge difference between sending out mailings for hearing adults, and sending out a brochure that indicates all accessible programs, services, subtitled and silent films, etc that the museum offers for deaf and hard of hearing individuals. We do also recognize that there are many people in the general public who have a hearing loss that do not recognize themselves as possibility benefitting from accessible services. Accommodating those, and all, individuals embraces the true philosophy of universal design.

Terrie, I would be more than happy to continue this discussion with you off of the list. I wanted to take this moment to further the discussion on ways to work with target audiences.

Best wishes to all,
Leah Fox, Access Programs
The Museum of Modern Art