From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:46:01 -0400
A quick search of the Museum-l archives (searchable at
http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?S1=museum-l)  shows the  subject
of suggested donations versus admission fees raises it's head fairly
regularly. It seems to have been addressed, accept of course the issue I
need information on. We are currently facing layoffs and "downsizing" at our
institutions as part of a reorganization and long range plan. As a result we
are losing a good bit of our museum staff. (myself included, he said
dropping a hint to all those with a position to fill) While trying to design
a more self guided experience I thought that perhaps doing away with our
small admission fee ($1 and $2) and going to a suggested donation system.
Most people who have responded to this post in the past have mentioned that
they have seen no change in income or a possible slight decrease. They have
also reported that it has no or negligible impact on attendance. In most
cases admissions as a revenue stream "as is" was minimal, as is ours in its
current state. And, considering that we are now decreasing service, I would
think raising the admission charge is not an option.

The one issue NOT raised in past discussions of this topic is how the change
from an admission fee based system to a suggested donation system has
effected the institution in regards to staff or volunteer time. If the
switch in systems has little or no effect on attendance or admissions, then
it seems to me that there is a net gain because a staffed admission desk
cost more than an unattended locked box. Even volunteers cost money.

Does anyone have any experience, intuition, ideas,  thoughts, or two bit
opinions on this topic?

--
Matthew White
Director of Museums