From:
Laura Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:47:04 -0400
To Mr Trabue:

Congratulations on completing your Master's. I can sympathize with your job
search and your desire to work in the UK. I am  afraid to say that even with
an MA, I think that you would find it extremely difficult, if not
impossible, to earn a position in England. This should not be viewed as any
criticism of your education or experience. If you consider how difficult it
can be to secure a museum position in the US, your (and my) battle to work
in the UK is all the greater by comparison; The UK is a smaller country and
is a part of the European Union (in other words, you would be competing not
only with British citizens but also those from any other member country).

This being said, I would recommend investigating courses at the Courtauld
and the University of St. Andrews. With this, you could befriend an
important ally ... or marry a Brit, unless of course you have a European
passport that would entitle you to work in the UK without support.

I am sorry to be so pessimistic. I wish you every success... and when you DO
find a position, you can hire me as a Furniture expert.

Best of Luck!
Laura Petznick
University of St. Andrews, Ph.D. 2000