From:
Sam Hand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:13:59 -0500
We found that hiring someone specifically for event coordination made sense
for our museum. Their job is "special events". During fall and spring
semesters, I have work study students who are the special event staff.
During the summer, we hire a part-time staff member or move the work study
student(s) into the part time position as the lead for special events and
then staff up with part time or volunteer team members.

When it comes to using full time staff for larger events, the Programming
Coordinator is the manager for after hours special events. The Operations
Manager is the manager for weekends. By promoting two of our part-time floor
staff members to part-time floor staff supervisor we have opened up a lot of
options for increasing after hours and weekend coverage by "management" and
given two really great staff members more responsibility and team leadership
opportunities. This has worked out really great because we can rotate
weekend duty between three people.

We do use comp/flex time for full time staff who work after hours or weekend
shifts and it is supposed to be used within the 30 day time period following
the event. We also stagger start times and come in later in the day when we
have an evening event.

Sure we have had plenty of bumps along the road, but we have a small staff
and "learn through play" at our museum.

Would love to hear how other museums do this.

Respectfully,

Sam Hand
Operations Manager

Oklahoma WONDERtorium
308 West Franklin/Stillwater/OK/74074
PHONE: 405.533.3333  xt 109 |  FAX: 405.372.7289
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
WEB: http://www.okwondertorium.org
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/okwondertorium
TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/okwondertorium