From:
"Lucia I. Dorsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 09:16:15 -0500
We hire our guard through a security guard service.  We had the option of a
more "plainclothes" uniform, which we adopted so that visitors would feel
less "threatened."  We have tried to do some "visitor interaction"
training, but have found it difficult.  It all depends on the guard--some
are better at interacting with the public than others.  (Of course, if a
guard proves to be too intimidating or unfriendly, we immediately ask the
security company for a new guard.)  We've had the same guard for a few
years now and she has improved greatly in the way she deals with visitors,
but still finds it difficult sometimes to combine the roles of friendly
ambassador and serious security guard.

Several years ago we had a guard who took an active interest in our
exhibitions and always read our catalogues or brochures so that she could
answer questions from visitors.  But, in my experience, that is very rare.

I would love to hear some suggestions from other institutions on improving
guard/visitor relations.

Lucia I. Dorsey
Coordinator
Arthur Ross Gallery