From:
"Richard S. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:36:25 -0700
First:  Paper dust masks (now called filtering facepieces in the regulation)
which are worn vountarily by the employee for protection against nuisance
particulates are exempted from the regulation.  Second, there are types of
respirators (PAPR, for example) with a hood which do not require shaving.
Thirdly, the employee who is going to use a respirator not only must be fit
tested, they must have a medical exam (which is at least a written
questionnaire which must be reviewed by the company doctor, and may require
a hands-on exam depending on the answers provided and on the type of
respirator to be worn) and you, as the employer, must have a written
respiratory protection plan which meets all the requirements in 1910.134.
With the changes in 1910.134 a few years ago, boiler-plate programs are not
sufficient.

Any museum folk contemplating the use of respirators should not guide the
process themselves.  Get an industrial hygienist to help you do it
correctly. Those of you who work for City, County, State or Federal
institutions may have a Risk Management Department which can help you with
this.

Again, if the problem is nuisance particulates, you don't fit under the
regulation.  Bird droppings, with their attendant risk of parrot fever or
coccidioidiomycosis, warrant the use of a real respirator. Paper masks,
regardless of the make and model, do not provide adequate protection from a
biological hazard.

Rich White, Curator
International Wildlife Museum
formerly Safety and Environmental Manager for Pima County, Ariz
(yes, it is an odd change of career!)