From:
"Lundskow, Peter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:40:00 -0500
Dan,
Have you contacted Cole-Parmer to see if they have replacement hair
bundles for your unit?  Our museum does not have the model you speak of
but we purchased a few extra bundles in the past.  It is a pretty
straight forward task to replace them.  Most bundles are attached to a
bar at top & bottom that are then attached to the machine by screws.  It
is most important to make sure the the bundle is not touched by exposed
hands since transferred oils, dirt, etc. can effect the readings.  Also,
I beleve the hair they use is treated in some way so to use a co-workers
hair most likely would not give you correct readings.
That all being said I would also recommend that you might want to change
to electronic dataloggers.  You can find good ones for much less money
then a new mechanical hygrothermograph.  About three years ago I
purchaced 20 ONSET "Hobo" brand dataloggers for the price of two
mechanical ones & have been very happy with them.  The ones I bought
also have the added feature of recording light levels.  Their choice in
models has improved since.  There are other good brands out there if you
google dataloggers.
Peter Lundskow
Chief Conservator
Indiana State Museum