From:
archives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:40:10 -0500
My historical society has only 2 staff (Exec. Dir. & myself,
archivist/genealogist/museum tour guide).  We two are the main people to
have full access (We have given my Archives Chair full access as he is also
an officer of the Board).  We have set PP up at sign in for the various
levels of access.  Researchers get only access to the research tab;
volunteers who do archival input get access to the cataloging side, but
nothing in the membership/contacts side.
The one thing that I have found that worries me is that since I am the only
one who has set up the archives/museum cataloging side, I am the one who
knows (almost instinctively after 9 years) how to use it to its fullest.
This past fall I had a heart attack and was out for 3 weeks; when I got
back the first thing I was told was that I needed to make users guides for
both staff/volunteers who might have to use parts of the program they had
used only infrequently, plus one for any archives docents who might be
helping researchers.
These two guides were very hard to compile as I wanted to give
new/occasional users enough info to get them using it without overwhelming
them. I literally had to sit down at the computer and try to be a newbie
and not 'let my fingers do the walking'.
Any one out there been in a similar situation?  Should there be a member of
the Board/staff hierarchy who should have full access just in case?  If so,
should the person be trained somewhat, or just trust to the guide and hope
they pick it up?
Any input appreciated.  Mary Morris, Archivist, CCHA