Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:37:33 -0400
I'm working on an exhibit for a site on the National Road in Indiana that had two travelers' kitchens in the lower level. These gave travelers the option of cooking and sleeping inside for the night rather than outside with their wagons. This was not an Inn. Travelers are there on a self-service basis. The time period for these furnishings would be 1841-1853. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a similar room at other historic sites? My web searches have not been fruitful. Beyond knowing that there would be simple pallets and blankets unrolled for sleeping, I've not found a good source listing how such a space might have been furnished. The other option would be finding a list of suggested items to take when moving a family cross country. This might tell what kitchen items to include. Intuitively I expect that there would be an iron skillet on legs, perhaps an iron kettle, and a large pot with a lid for cooking stews or baking things. I could use some recommendations for documentary evidence to support a furnishing plan for around the hearth if anyone out there has ideas. Thank you!