From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:53:24 -0500
Katie, wow.  This is an unpleasant situation to say the least. We're also
grappling with a copyright vs. ownership issue right now (which are two
distinct issues) so I can relate.
I hate to say this but your president probably shouldn't have pushed the
issue with the hardware store.  You probably should have let it go.  I'm not
trying to insult small communities (heavens, I work in one, and you may
recall my famous gay fraktur problem) but many folks simply don't understand
the way museums/historical societies function.  They immediately bring up
the copyright issue, without understanding the situation in terms of
ownership and usage.
My advice is to try to explain the situation to the man and his attorney,
apologize, and ask that they drop it if you'll drop your issue with the
hardware store.
Candace Perry (who would invite you to cower in her office if you were
nearby)
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center