From:
Jane Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:11:39 -0400
Andrew - really interesting ideas here. You're going to get lots of replies
because contrary to popular opinion, museum types are techno-freaks. Most
ideas will be better than mine as I'm one of those people who inspired the
phrase " a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"  (computers collapse
around me) , but here goes:
- features:
audio output is nice as it allows that vital aid to learning, socialization.
Groups could then share the tour. But you have to consider
intrusion/confusion factors regarding volume.
video - why would you want video if you're standing in front of the exhibit?
I suppose it would be interesting to have other works of the artist,
preliminary drawings etc., but then you're getting into the realm of a
course, not a tour.
text to speech - I need some examples of how you'd use that one. Doesn't
sound too relevant, scuse the pun.
battery life would have to be about an hour, I'd guess...for those visitors
fitted like endurance athletes. Most will only last half that before needing
a break, and then they could visit the desk to pick up a new device for the
next floor/hall.
Essentials: reliability. accuracy. clarity. simplicity.
Compromises: what's a compromise?
Other: I think it would be neat to make a companion CD which could be
purchased and taken home as a catalogue.
Price: the rub. It would have to be cheap enough so that when one disappears
out the door or down the toilet, it can be written off. You'd need to have
enough available to provide one in five visitors, I'd guess...but that's
only a guesstimate based on family groups using them together, and maybe one
in three visitors not wanting to use it.
How cheap COULD it be? Ten dollars? a hundred? a thousand? I'd guess at ten,
you'd sell a ton of them, at a hundred, quite a few to the flush
institutions, at a thousand, forget it. (I'm thinking in Cdn. $)

>Features - what features would you like to see in such a device, audio
>output, text to speech? video, colour display, battery life etc. what
>would you be prepared to compromise on, what _must_ you have.
>
>Price - how would you make a spending decision on such an object, what
>sort of visitor numbers would justify it, how many would be needed. If you
>can tell me what its 'percieved' value might be, I'll see if it can be
>made for that price.
>
>Thanks for your time
>

>Regards
>Andrew Watkins          Technical Director, Ansae Ltd.
>Tel: +44 (0)1926 640073,

Jane Sproull Thomson