From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:39:30 -0400
Marc, as usual, hits it on the head.

I can only reinforce one thing he said, quoted below:  Aim low.  Even if
you think you are the greatest curator the world has yet produced, you
are not going to get to that level on your first job.  My first museum
job in 1986, with a M.A. in art history, was in a small university
museum as a secretary-with-possibilities, aka Assistant to the Director.
When I left that job nearly 4 years later I had written exhibition
catalogues, applied for and received major federal grants, trained three
generations of student assistants as guards and art handlers, created a
computer program that translated the university-based budget into one
more recognizable to museum professionals, revolutionized the way the
annual student show was organized, and along the way attended seminars
in registration methods, conservation, and legal aspects and picked up a
nearly-free M.B.A. from the university I worked for.  My next job was as
a full-fledged curator and then I moved into major project development
and administration.  I am currently overseeing the implementation of $4M
worth of public art into a major new airport construction project and
have other civic art projects in the works for big clients.  Finally I
am where I want to be--but it took 21 years to get there.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN
(317) 875-5500 x219