From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2013 14:40:00 -0400
Hi Angela,

Sounds like you have a real gem of a collection. I don't want to
dampen your enthusiasm but most of those items are probably really
common. Unless there is something really unique, and there might well
be given the size of the collection, most museums are not going to be
interested. They either have those items in their collection or do not
collect them in the first place. They will probably only want the one
or two unique pieces as well. As a knitting historian, I'd *love* to
take it but alas, space.

I'd inventory it and run it past a local knitting guild or a local
textile historian who knows about knitting to get their opinion. They
can tell you if there is anything that would be of interest. eBaying
the lot will probably mean it will go to a collector who will take the
valuable bits and sell off the rest. There are vintage knitting and
crochet dealers who deal those types of items as well.

The only other place I can think of is the fledgling Center for Knit
and Crochet: http://knittingheritagemuseum.wordpress.com/  They might
have some leads.

I'd love to see it go to a good home too. Sadly these items are often
overlooked because they are so common and "domestic". Soon they will
be all gone. Maybe you can start your own little museum with her
collection and preserve an important part of domestic history.

Good luck!

Deb Fuller