From:
Tree Ring Circus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 1994 13:05:17 -0900
        At the University of Alaska Museum, we do have a policy
for {_applications for destructive sampling of materials in the
anthropology collections. When I return to my office after
the first I'll send you a copy.
        Basically, we ask for a written proposal that explains
the same concerns you pose. We also ask for a bibleography from
the PI citing publications relevant to the proposed research.
We evaluate all these factors, in combination with the charcter
of the collection, when we make a recommenadation to the
Museum Director for approval or disapproval of the request.
        By the way, for anthropology collections, applicability
of
NAGPRA restrictions on destructive analysis is most important.
We cannot approve destructive analysis on materials from collections
that may be subject to repatriation without the written consent
of the associated Native American entity. This results in a
considerable effort on the part of the researcher to contact and
get permission from the Native group, but it is essential
for our NAGPRA complience.
        Mike Lewis
        University of Alaska Museum