From:
Jay Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 23:45:05 -0500
 IT IS ILLEGAL UNDER FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS LAWS TO SEND UNSOLICITED
ADVERTISMENTS VIA COMPUTERS.  YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF US FEDERAL  CODE TITLE
47 SEC 227(B)(1)(C).

  * * * * * DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE * * * * *
  * * * * * Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C) * * * * *

    "It shall be unlawful for any person within the United States
 to use any telephone facsimile machine, computer, or other device to
 send an UNSOLICITED advertisement to a telephone facsimile machine"

    A "telephone facsimile machine" is defined in Sec.227(a)(2)(B) as:
 "equipment which has the capacity to transcribe text or images (or
 both) from an electronic signal received over a regular
 telephone line onto paper."

UNDER THIS DEFINITION, AN E-MAIL ACCOUNT, MODEM, COMPUTER AND PRINTER
TOGETHER CONSTITUTE A FAX MACHINE.

 The rights of action are as follows:

             * * * * * Under Sec.227(b)(3)(B) * * * * *

 "A person or entity may, if otherwise permitted by the laws or rules
 of court of a State, bring in an appropriate court of that State --
 (A) an action based on a violation of this subsection or the
 regulations prescribed under this subsection to enjoin
 such violation,

(B) AN ACTION TO RECOVER FOR ACTUAL MONETARY LOSS FROM SUCH A VIOLATION, OR
TO RECEIVE $500 IN DAMAGES FOR EACH SUCH VIOLATION, WHICHEVER IS GREATER, OR

 (C) both such actions. If the court finds that the defendant willfully or
knowingly violated this subsection or the regulations prescribed under this
subsection, the court may, in its discretion, increase the amount of the
award to an amount equal to more than 3 times the amount available under
subparagraph

 Do not add my name to your mailing list. If you send me any mail that is not
specifically addressing one of the issues I present in my post then expect me
to send you a billing and maybe even a nasty little note telling you what I
think of spamers and other jerks who think I am interested in GRQS's ( GRQS's
= Get Rich Quick Schemes ) or any other crap that you may ASSUME I might be
interested in. UNDERSTAND THIS. I AM NOT INTERESTED !!!