Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 20:16:48 -0400
I will be graduating college with a B.A. in history in 2 months time. I
would like to pursue a career in museum work. Graduate school is of course
planned for the future, not the immediate future, but sometime within the
next 3 years. I was looking through a museum newsletter and became very
frustrated when all of the jobs in museum work that I was interested in
requested that the applicant have 3 to 5 years of experience. The is a
double edged sword here folks. How am I supposed to get that many years of
experience when I can't get a job because I haven't had a job to gain that
many years of experience? I am a huge fan of volunteerism, but I certainly
can't volunteer in a museum for the next 3 years. I am currently doing a 6
week internship at a locan railroaders museum, getting introduced to all
aspects of museum work. However, 6 weeks isn't 3 years. There are people,
me being one of them,who would want to be able to take over caring for
historical artifacts and want to learn the proper techniques for doing so,
but run into problems because we are unable to find people or programs that
are willing to do on the job training. Remember, if you (as in museum
professionals) are worried about who will take care of artifacts and other
historical aspects, rest assure there are people out there who are more
than willing to learn the craft, just teach us.

Any advice and/or comments would be wonderful and most appreciated.

Thank you
Robin F.